My Kind of Kindle

Check out how Rachel Walsh, a design student at the Cardiff School of Art and Design, decided to explain the concept of the Amazon Kindle to Charles Dickens.


She took one large book and cut out 40 little windows in which she placed miniature copies of Dickens' (and her own) favorite novels.


The artist explained that: “I made the book start to finish over five days, and it took about 35 hours to make I reckon. It was pretty painstaking cutting out all the gaps in the book itself, and making the books to go inside. They’re all bound like actual books, so as I waited for them to glue and dry I would design the covers for them. All the covers are copies of real book covers. They include many of Dickens’s novels, his favorite childhood books, and some of my own.”

6 comments:

kayerj said...

my son in law made a creative kindle cover. He took a book, left about 50 pages free in the front and glued the rest together with fabric glue. Then he used a laser cutter and cut a hole large enough to hold his kindle. Now he has the best of two worlds--a real live book to hold and the convenience of a kindle.

Chachic said...

LOL such a funny way to illustrate the Kindle but that's exactly what it is - one book that contains so many other books.

poetrygrl7 said...

@Kaye That's a really great idea! College students all over will be doing that before long. Buying 2 copies of their text books and cutting the other ones out to make into Kindle covers so they can pretend to be studying, but really be reading on their kindle. LOL

Holly said...

Love it! I should really start reading my Shelf Awareness emails.

Nomes said...

oh my gosh

this is truly gorgeous and i completely love it!

thanks for sharing :)

Janicu said...

Wowsa. That is neat. I can imagine it taking 35 hours. Actually 35 hours seems fast for creating something like this!